Grandpa and Me with his homemade pies

The oven opened, flooding the kitchen with a rich, savoury smell of fresh apples, sprinkled in cinnamon and baked to perfection. Melt in your mouth partridge berries boiled on the stove top, as the lemon cooled down on the table. All in a typical Newfoundland kitchen, with empty mason jars lined up for jam and pie shells patiently waiting to be filled. In the mix of it all, there stood a silver-haired man wearing an apron covered in flour, grinning from ear to ear. Ah, it was Grandpa and his pies.

When brainstorming fundraisers, experience told me one thing: people like sweets — even the people on health kicks. Sweets are hard to turn away from! Maybe you can say no to a late-night plate of nachos or skip a doughnut at Tim’s once in a while. But when it comes to Grandpa’s pies, it’s always a challenge to say no.

I called him one day to ask if this fundraiser was possible for Mother’s Day to which he replied, “Yes my love, just tell me how many pies!” Well, thanks to Winners and Homesense associates, Eastern Edge Robotics, and family and friends we sold more pies then I accounted for. All of the proceeds are going toward the Children’s Wish Foundation, therefore, getting me one step closer to granting a wish. Thank you, everyone, who supported this fundraiser and a special thank you to the man of the hour, Clayton Cutler or as I like to call him, Grandpa.

Eastern Edge Robotics team (Image does not include all team members)

Missed this fundraiser? Can’t wait for the next one? Coming up on Father’s day, I will be selling cupcakes! Stay tuned!!

Social Media

Facebook: Alyssa Cutler – Miss St. John’s World 2019

Twitter: @NLworld19

Instagram: miss_stjohns_world19

Leave a comment! I love to hear from people!

Written by: Alyssa Tagged with:, ,
Posted On: Categories:Alyssa, Miss World Canada

15 Responses to Pie With Grandpa

1. Germaine Hunt says:

Alyssa you have one of the best grandpa out there and he doesn’t say no to anyone especially his grandchildren but all in all we are very proud to have our dad/grandpa here to help us thank god for him everyday and we are so proud of the woman you have become love you from the bottom of my heart xoxo Aunt Germaine

• Alyssa says:

Oh, I know Grandpa is one of the best out there! I wouldn’t be able to pull this fundraiser off without him and a lot of other ones without his support. You have supported me a lot too over the years and I greatly appreciate all that you have done for me. xoxo

2. Gary Cutler says:

Great job with the pies. They taste just as good as they looked.

3. Clayton cutler says:

Thanks for all special comments about me but you know I love you from the bottom of my heart and would do anything for any of my grandchildren don’t ever forget we are here for you whenever you need us love always grandpa and nan xoxo

• Alyssa says:

I am happy to hear you liked the blog post! I know you would do anything for us, you and nan have proven that to us time and time again. I appreciate everything you have done for us. Love you always.

4. Faith says:

The caramel pies were delicious! You’re Grandpa is a good baker!

5. Steve says:

The chocolate one was awesome! And looked so good too!

• Alyssa says:

The chocolate ones are my favourite! I also loved the idea of putting chocolate shavings on them to make them look pretty.

6. Nikita Wells says:

I could just smell them all as I read your blog!! Mmm soo good! I ate half a pie in one setting! 😬 It was delicious! That’s a beautiful picture of you and Granda! 😊

7. David says:

Eastern Edge really enjoyed the pie and the chocolate pie was a big hit with the team. can’t wait for the cupcakes, me and other team members are already looking forward to it.

• Alyssa says:

I am glad to hear! The cupcakes should be delicious too. Almost all of my fundraisers involve baked good Lol